In business and in life in general, we are required and expected to comply with the law and regulations that are made by both the parliament and the public service. If we don't we run the risk of fines, orders to comply or even imprisonment in some circumstances. Therefore compliance and risk management in your business, no matter its size or complexity, is an important and essential obligation.
There are three aspects you should consider in compliance and risk management:
- Firstly, what are the compliance issues that confront me and / or my business?
- Secondly, how do I ensure compliance?
- Thirdly, what do I do if I have been found to be non-compliant by a regulatory body?
Experienced Compliance & Risk Management Lawyers
Our commercial lawyers, as a result of their experience working in large national practices and doing work for large corporations, and also doing work for small to medium sized businesses, have the knowledge and experience of the relevant laws and regulations that may impact on your business. We have advised and acted for clients in matters concerning the following regulations:
- Fair Work Act and Regulations, and the industrial legislation in each state and territory including the National employment Standards and industry relevant Modern Awards
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations in each state and territory and the Commonwealth, including recent amendments to rationalise such laws across Australia
- Corporations Act and Regulations, and relevant state and territory laws relating to business names and incorporated associations
- The Australian Consumer Law and Regulations, including state and territory Fair Trading Acts and Regulations
- The Privacy Act and Regulations, including state and territory Acts and Regulations
- Commonwealth and State Acts and Regulations relating to professional registration and discipline, including Engineers, Lawyers, Accountants, Medical Practitioners, Psychologists, Teachers and Pharmacists
- Higher Education Support Act and Regulations, including tuition assurance schemes and equity compliance matters
If you have a compliance issue or think you or your business may be at risk, we have been there on behalf of others clients and have the knowledge, experience, ability to negotiate, and the ability to advocate for you to both ensure compliance and minimise the risk to you and or your business.
Compliance & Risk Management Services
We can provide the following services:
- Compliance auditing; that is attending at your business and reviewing systems and records to ensure compliance
- Regular compliance updates and reporting; that is providing you with notice of changes in relevant laws and regulations on an agreed review date, normally annually
- Act for you and negotiate with regulatory bodies when non compliance is identified, including prosecutions and disciplinary proceedings.
If you are concerned or wish to be proactive in your risk management, give one of our lawyers a call and chances are we may have done something similar for another client. If not, we will analyse your situation and offer you the advice or representation to protect you and your business.
Please call 1300 253 203 or send us an enquiry today.