In Australia 'workplace relations' is another name for 'industrial relations'. Australia has one of the most complex workplace relations systems in the world. In addition to that, the system often changes as a result of political changes. It is not just a matter of being compliant with your obligations as an employer and complying with the law, such as correct pay, allowances and penalty rates, but also hours of work, flexibility entitlements and leave entitlements.
It is also good management practice to have strategic and optimal workplace relations to get the best out of your work force.
Many businesses are not aware or compliant with changes that took place in 2009 with the introduction of the Fair Work Act and Regulations. Many more businesses are not aware of the introduction of Modern Awards and changes to the Collective Agreement regime.
Experienced Workplace Relations Lawyers
Employers must consider their Human Resources in their business as a significant asset and a significant cost. Therefore, it is essential that employers think strategically about their workforce.
We have experience advising employers and employees in workplace relations in the Federal, Queensland, New South Wales, Victorian, West Australian and New Zealand workplace relations jurisdictions.
Brett Wilson has over 25 years experience advising and acting in all aspects of workplace relations, and has led major national practices in this area of law. He is considered an expert and regularly gives lectures and seminars to clients and the legal profession. Brett advised the New South Wales Government in the 20 Allowable Matters and Paid Rates Award Test Cases. He has acted and advised BHP Billiton, Westpac, Qantas, Ansett, News Limited, Bond University, Steelx, Gold Coast Turf Club and Macquarie Regional Radio in all aspects of Workplace Relations.
Legal Services Workplace Relations
We offer the following Workplace Relations services:
- Advice and interpretation of terms and conditions of employment, and the application of industry based Modern Awards to small, medium and large businesses
- Advice and interpretation of the National Employment Standards to your workplace
- Initiation by way of Notice on interested parties of the commencement of a bargaining period, negotiating and drafting of Collective Agreements
- Advice and representation in Dispute Notifications before the Fair Work Commission, the New South Wales Industrial Relations Commission, and the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission
- Drafting and negotiation of Contracts of Employment varying terms and conditions; that is clause 7.1 variations in most Modern Awards
- Advising and acting for clients in trade union access disputes
If you have an issue in your workplace, as either an employee or employer, please contact our experienced lawyers to discuss your rights and obligations. We will discuss the cost of our services and ensure that you make the right commercial decision.
Please call 1300 253 203 or send us an enquiry today.